Giving Care: Senior & Disabled Caregiver Resource Blog

Does Medicare Pay for Orthotics/Diabetic Shoes?

  • Save

Are you looking to purchase a pair of orthotics or diabetic shoes but are worried about the cost? Although therapeutic shoes can be costly, Medicare offers coverage through Medicare Part B (medical insurance) and this significantly lowers the cost to consumers.

Find out how to get orthotics covered by insurance, as well as custom orthotics and diabetic shoes. Our guide will help you navigate the process and tips to get started.

What are orthopedic shoes and devices?

If you need additional foot care, then orthopedic devices and shoes can help you regain mobility and comfort. There are different types like inserts/insoles and wide-fit shoes to accommodate various foot concerns.

How do I know if I meet the Medicare-approved requirements?

Silverts is a certified Medicare supplier with a large selection of diabetic shoes and wide slip-on-shoes for the elderly specifically designed for extra-wide feet.

To meet Medicare requirements and have an orthotic device or diabetic shoes covered through this program, your doctor and supplier must be enrolled in Medicare (just as Silverts is). They must also be in good standing. If the doctor or supplier is not enrolled, Medicare will not pay the submitted claim. 

Before you buy new diabetic shoes or orthotics, check with your supplier and doctor to ensure you are eligible for medical insurance coverage. 

What will Medicare cover?

If you or a loved one has diabetes or severe diabetic foot disease, you are eligible for yearly coverage. For each calendar year, Medicare will cover either:

  • The furnishing and fitting for either one pair of custom-molded shoes and inserts, or
  •  One pair of extra-depth shoes.

In addition to this, each year Medicare also covers:

  •  two additional pairs of inserts for custom-molded shoes
  • three pairs of inserts for extra-depth shoes.

Silverts has a dedicated diabetic shoes collection. These products fall under the Medicare Part B coverage. Each of these footwear styles is designed with an extra-wide fit that has easy closure systems and slip-resistant soles.

What is the process for having shoes covered by Medicare?

To have orthotics or diabetic shoes covered by Medicare, you must meet the Part B deductible and pay 20 percent of the Medicare-approved amount (this means that Medicare will cover the remaining 80 percent).

Your provider will accept the assignment and then Medicare will pay its portion, and the customer will pay their share of that amount. 

What should I ask before purchasing foot orthotics or diabetic shoes?

Before making your purchase, be sure to ask your supplier if they are enrolled in Medicare for therapeutic shoes. If the supplier is a participating member, which Silverts is, they will charge only the co-insurance and Part B deductible for the Medicare-approved amount.

If suppliers do not participate in Medicare, there is no limit to what they can charge.

I want Medicare-covered shoes, what should I do?

If you are looking to purchase a pair of diabetic shoes or orthotics that will be covered by Medicare, you must ensure your supplier is enrolled in Medicare. Don’t be afraid to reach out to the supplier directly if you cannot find any information online.

Silverts recently became enrolled in Medicare and is now an approved Medicare-supplier. Silverts Medicare-approved shoes include our diabetic shoes and extra-wide shoes. 

Both the shoes for older men line and shoes for older women line offer terrific Medicare-covered diabetic shoes and extra-wide shoes for men and women.Find the full selection online.

No Comments

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*Silverts reserves the right to modify this promo code or its terms at any time. Customers will find the updated promo code on this page.

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap