Gift Ideas for Rehab Patients 2020
If you have a loved one in pre or post-op rehabilitation, it can be a challenge to think of some holiday gift ideas. There are often many rules for what you can and cannot send, but you don’t want to leave them out of festivities because of their current situation! When considering how to shop for patients in rehab, first take a look at these guidelines:
Rehab Care Package First Steps
- Check with the facility. Browse their website or contact them directly to learn what rules you must follow.
- Get in touch with a staff member for recommendations. Learn what items are generally well-received and allowed, or what your loved one has specifically asked for.
- Do not send anything that may trigger a painful memory, such as a photo or a piece of memorabilia.
- Put lots of thought into choosing the right things. Demonstrating that you care shows that you are supportive of their recovery.
- Remember that the package will have to be searched by the rehabilitation centre’s staff. So, of course, abide by the facility’s rules and avoid items that are too personal or embarrassing.
Here is our gift guide for patients in a rehabilitation facility.
A sweatsuit is always a great gift idea; everyone loves being cozy! Silvert’s carries sweatshirts and sweatpants for men and women, ideal for everyday wear at rehab. They’re soft, comfortable, and machine-washable. They are also designed to be adaptive — the tops open at the back and the pants have special closures so your loved one can be dressed with ease by a caregiver.
Personal Care Products
The skincare and beauty products provided by rehab facilities are not only generic—they can also be unsubstantial. Gifting your friend or family member with a scented lotion or room spray is a small token that can improve their overall comfort during their stay. Aromatherapy items invigorate the senses and get a self-care routine going; the pleasant smells may help remind them of home. During the holidays, many retailers offer apothecary sets or baskets.
Though rehabilitation centres often have rules about patients getting dressed for the day, there’s no harm in having soft pyjamas to rest in. Especially if your loved one requires dressing help from a caregiver, adaptive sleepwear is an important addition to the closet! Silvert’s carries nightgowns for men and women which can also be purchased in multi-packs for the holidays.
Keeping a journal might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but perhaps your loved one needs something to do during his or her stay in rehab. Writing in a journal is a great activity that can jog the brain, help the writer self-reflect, and immortalize memories for future reading. If your friend or relative isn’t big on storytelling, there are tons of great journaling tools like the book that asks you a different question each day, or a daily one-pager questionnaire to boost gratitude.
Music soothes the soul! Give the gift of something beautiful to listen to during recovery. A simple music player, personalized mix-tape, or iTunes gift card is all it takes to bring the joys of sound to somebody you love.
If you want to make a quick list of some gift items for a loved one in rehab, here they are:
- Adaptive clothing
- Aromatherapy items
- Personal care items
- Journal/ stationary
Did we miss something? As always, if you have any suggestions, please let us know in the comments below!