It is important to remember that your wardrobe should keep pace with your perpetually changing lifestyle and needs. Let's face it, we all have to cope with issues of dressing twice daily, 365 days a year. Why not make this a pleasant and effortless task? Here are just a few helpful hints to make your life that much more enjoyable.
Throw away that iron! With the growing demands of our daily routines who has the time, energy or money to spend on ironing and dry cleaning? Choose fabrics with a high level of washability. These are fabrics that resist shrinkage in everyday washing such as polyester or a combination of polyester. When choosing a cotton garment make sure that it is 50% polyester / 50% cotton or 65% polyester / 35% cotton blend. The garment will then not require ironing and will have a low shrinkage factor.
Fabrics should contain less than a 30% rayon, silk, linen or wool content.
Why struggle with your clothing when there are pain-free solutions?
- VELCRO®/Easy Touch closures on pants, skirts and blouses make dressing a dream.
- Long front zip fastenings help with lowered hand dexterity i.e. zip-front dresses.
- Choose clothing with larger openings which enable the person to easily put the garment over their head in a seated position or effortlessly step into the garment opening with minimal struggle.
Lowered Mobility Dressing
If you or someone you know find weight bearing a struggle, there are a number of useful tips to make dressing an effortless task.
Fabric which easily expands and stretches for ease of dressing, yet retains it's shape is the best. The elasticity of a fabric is determined by both the weave and blend of the material. It is important to choose fabrics that are woven into a knit or interlock.
100% polyester and 100% acrylic not only lend elasticity to a fabric, but reduce the amount of permanent shrinkage after initial washing.
Key words to look for when purchasing garments with high levels of elasticity are:
- Polyester Interlock
- Polyester Gabardine
- Cotton Polyester
- Acrylic Knit
Conventional Dressing: Everyday dressing can be a breeze when styling of a garment is taken into consideration.
- Front openings to below the waist, which either allows the individual to remain seated while sliding the garment over their head or step into the garment with ease
- Non-waisted garments with detachable belts allow the belt to be placed where the individual finds it most comfortable or not at all
- Loose full fitting garments with gathering which allows freedom of movement